Click on the picture

Friday, September 17, 2010

Jama Masjid,Delhi

Jama Masjid,Delhi
                                                                                
It was my chance my chance to visit the history again in Delhi.I went to buy books from Nai Sadak and while returning from there ,I took a rickshaw to reach the bus stand.The rickshaw moved from the small lanes of Old Delhi making way in the maddening crowd.The smell of tasty food was enticing me but i just maintained my calm looking at my belly.All of a sudden a massive piece of architecture emerged from the congested lanes and my heart knew what to do.

Stairs at Jama Masjid
                                                                              
                                                                          
    I had never seen the Jama masjid from inside and today was the day i was going to do just that.I paid the rickshaw walla his money and got down to explore the Mugal excellence.
The side view ,Jama Masjid
                                                                                
    Jama Masjid is claimed to be the biggest masjid in India .I was built by Shahjahan from Mugal dynasty.The same emperor bulit the Taj mahal at Agra.Jama Masjid is quite near to Red Fort ,which too is a master piece .Both Jama Masjid and Red Fort are made up of red sand stone.Jama Masjid was completed in 1656 AD with the help of 5000 craftsmen.
   As I entered the premises I had to undergo a security check and after that were huge stairs made up of red sandstone.I had to remove my shoes to enter inside the Masjid.
The east gate,Jama masjid
                                                                                
   Jama Masjid has three gates,four towers two 40 m high minarets,made up of strips of red sand stone and white marble.The courtward of Jama Masjid opens from three sides east,north and south.Jama Masjid has two tall minarets 40 m high and containing 130 steps.The view from the top of the minarets is amazing but for that you have to buy a ticket.The masjid has three domes and the top most part of dome is covered by gold.
In the centre of Jama Masjid is a waterpool to wash our hands before prayer.
Minaret

   It was a gem of architecture and i explored it from one point to another.I sat there for sometime watching the pigeons being fed.It was getting dark in the evening and i walked out of Jama Masjid praising Shahjahan for a beautiful gift to Delhi.                              

                                                                            
                                                                                                                           From travellingontreks.
Related article-   Travel delhi (Travel India)
                                                                            

View Larger Map

3 comments:

  1. visit the place on friday to get the complete feel of the place .

    ReplyDelete
  2. please tell us the significance of the place as per the historians

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is a mosque built by Shahjahan of mugal dynasty and He used to offer his prayer at this place.

    ReplyDelete